It’s time to focus on getting your wardrobe organized in your closet. Look at your space and figure out a logical method that will work best for you. It’s important to get it organized in a way that will be easy for you to maintain.
During Week 3 of The Closet Cleanse & Wardrobe Refresh we will focus on 5 Tips to Organize Your Wardrobe:
1. To Hang or Fold?
If I could, I would hang everything. Clothes are more likely to stay wrinkle-free when you hang them. You will need to assess your closet to see how much hanging room you have and what you have available for storage (shelves and drawers). Here are some ideas:
- Hang: Blouses, dress shirts, skirts, dresses, pants, blazers, and suits.
- Fold: Knit sweater dresses, sweaters, sweatshirts, sweatpants, workout clothes, and pajamas.
- Hang/Fold: Tank tops, T-shirts, long sleeve shirts, cardigans (depending on fabric), jeans, and leggings. You can hang or fold these items, based on your space.
2. Categorize Clothes by Type
- Like with Like: Tops, pants, dresses, jackets, etc.
- Separate items into groupings and decide how they should be placed in your closet. For example: You look into your closet and you place tops on the left side, then jackets, and on the right side, you have dresses and pants.
3. Sort Each Section by Style
- Take each section that has been sorted by type and further sort it by style.
- Start with sleeve lengths for tops: Tanks, short sleeves, long sleeves, blouses, etc.
- Now move on to hem lengths, dress styles (tank, wrap, sheath) jacket styles, and anything else you can categorize further down.
4. Organize by Color
- Within each section organize by color – light to dark.
- Patterns can be organized by the most prevalent color or if you have a lot of items within a section, you could separate them out. Solids first and then patterns.
5. Organize Your Accessories & Shoes
Organize all of these items by style, type, and color. Here are a few suggestions:
- If you keep your shoes in their original box, you could tape a picture of the shoes on the outside of the box.
- Clear/Acrylic boxes are a great option to store your shoes and you can see them easily.
- Arrange your shoes on shelves or on a shoe rack.
- Hang belts by size(width), type, and color on hooks.
- A belt-specific hanger is a good option as well.
- Use a basket and roll your belts/hook them, so they are easy to grab.
- Knit scarves should be rolled and then grouped by color in a cloth bin/basket or dresser drawer.
- Other scarves can be hung on a scarf organizer hanger or organized by color on a rod/hooks in your closet.
- To maintain the shape of your bag, stuff with acid free paper.
- Stack flat clutches on top of one another or store in a bin/basket.
- Utilize shelf organizers to keep them tidy and organized.
- Utilize a jewelry box, trays, hooks, or a display organizer to showcase and store all of your jewelry.
Congratulations – you have just created your very own boutique! Everything in your closet and wardrobe, is functional and organized.
If you have a closet full of clothes and still struggle with getting ready, we’ve got just the cure – The Foundation Package. This package will help you see all your clothes that reflect you in a matter that is simple, accessible and of course, organized! Contact us, to schedule your session today!
Check out Week 1 and Week 2 of our Closet Cleanse & Wardrobe Refresh: