“You only get five seconds to make a first good impression.” Have you heard this line before? It might sound daunting. Whether you are presenting to a large group, have a big interview, or are making connections as a new entrepreneur all eyes are going to be on you.
If you ask someone today for feedback on the message of your look, what would they say? Maybe they’ll say, “You look so put together”. Or, “You had my attention right away.” Perhaps, the feedback was not favorable, and it sent the complete opposite response you were intending.
Now more than ever, interactions are short, and impressions are being made before we even open our mouth. I’ve put together some tips on how you can create a lasting impression.
CREATE A LASTING IMPRESSION
A year ago I was at a conference, and one of the speakers gave an excellent speech. There was a lot of great takeaways and tips. During her presentation, there was so much chatter from the audience about what she was wearing (her dress was ill-fitting, and the pattern was distracting). It’s a shame too because her topic and message was quite profound. And, unfortunately, it was lost by so many.
TIPS ON HOW TO GET A FAVORABLE FIRST IMPRESSION
- Wear a necklace to bring attention to your face.
- Create a sleek silhouette to convey how efficient you are.
- Make sure your clothing fits you impeccably like they are custom made for you.
- Repeat the color of your eyes in a scarf or a tie.
The way we dress affects the way we think, the way we feel, the way we act, and the way others react to us. ~ Judith Rasband
PRINCIPALS TO COME INTO SHARPER FOCUS
- Repeating colors throughout your outfit.
- Repeat your hair or eye color in clothing pieces or your accessories.
- Being strategic with pattern mixing.
WEAR COLOR WITH INTENTION
Neutral colors are the most prominent colors in the workplace. There is no reason to restrict yourself to only wearing neutrals.
- Keep in mind your company dress code, the venue, your audience, and the message you want to convey.
- Think about a color that you wear that always elicits compliments. Refresh your wardrobe with a few more options in this color.
- Color evokes a ton of emotion. For more tips on color: How to Wear Color with Intention.
Dress shabbily and they remember the dress. Dress impeccably and they remember the WOMAN. ~ Coco Chanel
If you’ve been putting thought into how you dress on a part-time basis, consider making it more fulltime. There is so much enjoyment that can come from caring for the items you choose to wear.
I’m here to offer my expertise. From easy tips to simple changes, I can help you either tweak what you’re doing now or go deeper to show you how to dress in a way that aligns with your brand and the message you want to convey. Let’s set up a time to chat about how you can create a lasting impression!
(Photography by Gavyn Taylor Photography)