Wedding season is officially here. Stores are packed with floral prints and beautiful summer colors. There are a lot of things to keep in mind when deciding what to wear to the next wedding you attend.
I’ve broken down The Do’s and Don’ts of Wedding Guest Attire below:
- Do Follow the Invitation Dress Code: First check the invitation and see if the bride and groom included any specifics about the dress code or the venue.
- Do Wear Something Comfortable: Make sure everything fits you from your undergarments to your shoes. Keep in mind the fabric as well.
- Do Wear Your Dancing Shoes: Pick the perfect mix of style and comfort. And, you can always bring along an extra pair of shoes and change into them later in the night.
- Do Bring a Wrap/Pashmina: If the temps get cooler at night, or the air conditioning is too cold for you, you will be glad to have an extra layer to put on over your dress.
- Don’t Wear White: This is a no-brainer. I’ve been to more than a few weddings and have seen guests wearing white. There are a million other color combinations to pick from, besides white, off-white, creme, and ivory. White (or any variation of this color) is the one color that has been reserved for the bride. And, if you are invited to the rehearsal and wedding shower, stay away from wearing white at both of these events.
- Don’t Wear Inappropriate Attire: Avoid wearing anything with a plunging neckline, low back, high slit, or anything shorter than an inch above your knee. If the word sexy or revealing comes to mind when you look at your outfit, choose something else.
- Don’t Dress Like the Wedding Party: Find out what the colors are for the wedding. The invite might give you a clue, or you could inquire from one of the bridesmaids. This goes for wearing a tux as well. The groom and groomsmen should be the only ones wearing a tux. Unless the invite says, “black tie”.
- Don’t Wear Jeans or Shorts: It doesn’t matter how casual the wedding is, jeans, shorts, and t-shirts are not an option.
That wraps up my top do’s and don’ts for wedding guest attire. When deciding what to wear to the next wedding, check the invite for any special instructions, the venue, check the weather the day before, and keep in mind if it’s taking place during the day, at night, or a combination of both. What do you plan on wearing to the next wedding your attending? Comment below or let me know on Facebook or Instagram.
Thanks for reading! Keep a look out for my post next week about, What to Wear: Summer Wedding Guide. In the meantime, if you need assistance, check out my Special Event Styling service.
Sign up for my newsletter, here or click the box below!